While working with a client recently, I had a situation where they had two non-HA cubes connecting to two velocloud SDWAN devices to get to the carrier. My first thought was to use OSPF for the routes which would allow for easy failover and a potential use of BFD. However, the carrier informed us that they only use dynamic routing protocols on their upstream connections and we would need to use static routes to them.
My first thought in this case (barring bad thoughts about the carrier) were just using weighted static routes and relying on if the carriers interface is down, we would see it down causing the secondary static route to take over. Well, after testing with the carrier, if they shut their port, Cisco saw it up up resulting in 100% packet loss due to the lack of transition for the static route. See the routes below
While working with a client recently, I was asked to create a new JTAPI application user and associate a little over 600 users to it. I couldn’t find a clean way to do this with BAT, so I decided to use SQL.
Follow these easy steps
Learn the associations between the applicable fields. We needed to get a device linked to an application user in my case. CUCM Data Dictionary
run some select statements to verify everything looks how you expect. I also make changes in the GUI, then check my selects again to ensure I know how CUCM expects data to look.
I recently needed to lab out some things and while my homelab is great, it was lacking a few items. Let’s start with how I run EVE-ng. I run this on ESXi 6.7 with 4 vCPU, 8GB of memory, and 40GB of storage.
This first started because a client wanted to setup a DMVPN tunnel between sites and eliminate their existing costly T1s between sites.
This made sense for multiple reasons
from a cost perspective it’s a HUGE savings
from a bandwidth perspective it’s a HUGE increase
from a control perspective, the client controls it FULLY!
With Call Manager 11x we saw the deprecation of Meet Me conferences begin. Meetme conferences were great, but many users had issues with using them. This is likely what led to the mass exodus of users to things like webex, zoom, and bluejeans. Today was the first time I’ve ever had the opportunity to work on Conference Now, so I will run through what I did to get this all working.
The photos I will use in the guide are from UCM 12.5, but the process is the same in 11x.
Sometimes when you’re in a client environment, you just need something you don’t have access to. That could be NTP, DNS, gateways, an internal CA, or even just an SFTP server. I encounter this all the time and my solution is almost always to simply get an IP from the client and spin up a linux server.
I decided to make this a vLog entry rather than a blog, so please check out the videos. I would like to point out that the part2 video does have an error in the alt_names section for the IP address. DNS entries are prepended by DNS: but ip addresses are prepended by IP: In my video, I prepended the IP with DNS: this will not work.
I’ll start off with the bad news. After the two win10 vms were running perfectly for over a year now, I was running updates on my other linux servers… some how i did pay attention and upgraded the distro of my kvm box. It pretty much ruined everything, now I get stuck at the windows logo during boot. I even tried simply reinstalling the vm guest, but when the kvm booted from the win10 iso, it would freeze at… you guessed it, the windows logo.
I spent a little time trying to work through this, but nothing really helped. Eventually, I decided to do a full rebuild which brings us to this post.
Today I was cleaning up some CSSs for a client. I came across a particular css that had been erroneously assigned as the line css for a bunch of unassigned DNs (they were precreated to show they were already in use). Of course, I went to BAT first to see if I could just update the line css of the lines, but I discovered that I couldn’t affect the unassigned DNs (even though there is an option for searching unassigned dns…)
Anyway, as you can guess, I jumped into SQL to see what I could do.
If you’ve been following me in this 3 part series, you know we started off with around 700 dependencies on a CSS that no longer fits our standard. It was in use by various things and we leveraged SQL to quickly, efficiently, and safely remove it from use. When we finished part 2, the only things still referencing our css were directory numbers. Well, we actually have 2 CSSs we’re going to clean up today.
Previously we had around 700 dependencies on a CSS that no longer fits our standard. This CSS was in use by lines, devices, and users throughout the system. In part 1 we removed this css from the users, now we need to do the same for the devices.
So, at a client of mine that we will call PRO, we had a Device-CSS which seemed to be the default css for pretty much everything, including presence subscription, even though PRO-Subscribe-CSS exists. Well the PRO-Device-css also used a lot of legacy stuff from the PRI days. I wanted to clean it up and swap things to follow the standards we had implemented, which required naming based on the line of business, location, and use.
First I modified all the templates to remove the PRO-Device-CSS usage and replace it with the appropriate css.
Next I check dependencies, assuming there couldn’t be that many things…