While working with a client recently, I was asked to create a new JTAPI application user and associate a little over 600 users to it. I couldn’t find a clean way to do this with BAT, so I decided to use SQL.
Follow these easy steps
Learn the associations between the applicable fields. We needed to get a device linked to an application user in my case. CUCM Data Dictionary
run some select statements to verify everything looks how you expect. I also make changes in the GUI, then check my selects again to ensure I know how CUCM expects data to look.
I recently needed to lab out some things and while my homelab is great, it was lacking a few items. Let’s start with how I run EVE-ng. I run this on ESXi 6.7 with 4 vCPU, 8GB of memory, and 40GB of storage.
This first started because a client wanted to setup a DMVPN tunnel between sites and eliminate their existing costly T1s between sites.
This made sense for multiple reasons
from a cost perspective it’s a HUGE savings
from a bandwidth perspective it’s a HUGE increase
from a control perspective, the client controls it FULLY!
With Call Manager 11x we saw the deprecation of Meet Me conferences begin. Meetme conferences were great, but many users had issues with using them. This is likely what led to the mass exodus of users to things like webex, zoom, and bluejeans. Today was the first time I’ve ever had the opportunity to work on Conference Now, so I will run through what I did to get this all working.
The photos I will use in the guide are from UCM 12.5, but the process is the same in 11x.
Sometimes when you’re in a client environment, you just need something you don’t have access to. That could be NTP, DNS, gateways, an internal CA, or even just an SFTP server. I encounter this all the time and my solution is almost always to simply get an IP from the client and spin up a linux server.
I decided to make this a vLog entry rather than a blog, so please check out the videos. I would like to point out that the part2 video does have an error in the alt_names section for the IP address. DNS entries are prepended by DNS: but ip addresses are prepended by IP: In my video, I prepended the IP with DNS: this will not work.
I’ll start off with the bad news. After the two win10 vms were running perfectly for over a year now, I was running updates on my other linux servers… some how i did pay attention and upgraded the distro of my kvm box. It pretty much ruined everything, now I get stuck at the windows logo during boot. I even tried simply reinstalling the vm guest, but when the kvm booted from the win10 iso, it would freeze at… you guessed it, the windows logo.
I spent a little time trying to work through this, but nothing really helped. Eventually, I decided to do a full rebuild which brings us to this post.
Today I was cleaning up some CSSs for a client. I came across a particular css that had been erroneously assigned as the line css for a bunch of unassigned DNs (they were precreated to show they were already in use). Of course, I went to BAT first to see if I could just update the line css of the lines, but I discovered that I couldn’t affect the unassigned DNs (even though there is an option for searching unassigned dns…)
Anyway, as you can guess, I jumped into SQL to see what I could do.
If you’ve been following me in this 3 part series, you know we started off with around 700 dependencies on a CSS that no longer fits our standard. It was in use by various things and we leveraged SQL to quickly, efficiently, and safely remove it from use. When we finished part 2, the only things still referencing our css were directory numbers. Well, we actually have 2 CSSs we’re going to clean up today.
Previously we had around 700 dependencies on a CSS that no longer fits our standard. This CSS was in use by lines, devices, and users throughout the system. In part 1 we removed this css from the users, now we need to do the same for the devices.
So, at a client of mine that we will call PRO, we had a Device-CSS which seemed to be the default css for pretty much everything, including presence subscription, even though PRO-Subscribe-CSS exists. Well the PRO-Device-css also used a lot of legacy stuff from the PRI days. I wanted to clean it up and swap things to follow the standards we had implemented, which required naming based on the line of business, location, and use.
First I modified all the templates to remove the PRO-Device-CSS usage and replace it with the appropriate css.
Next I check dependencies, assuming there couldn’t be that many things…
I simply forgot MWI wasn’t working since I get an email and just delete the message via email after listening! My daughter asked me why she never knows if she has a voicemail (she doesnt have usable email) and it prompted me to fix it. I’ll post what I did and how I did it shortly. Since call manager doesn’t inherently support authenticated sip trunks of course, no google voice integration, i’ve used my Asterisk server (running since 2002) as my Gateway for sometime. When I got my hands on a few 88xx, 8945s, and a dx650, I decided to setup call manager. To keep everything smooth, I just send everything to Asterisk and let it route to the cloud. Asterisk also provides my voicemail capability for the asterisk phones (my parents, a few military friends, and a few friends who would like to call locally within the US) and the Cisco phones. Calling into voicemail and diverting calls to voicemail is extremely basic so I won’t discuss this at all, but MWI stumped me. Asterisk handles MWI pretty differently from Unity Connection and I struggled with it for a bit. After an hour of internal server errors I decided to try scripting.